POLICY FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES & DISCIPLINE 751
Policy 751: Prohibition of the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students
A student shall not, regardless of the quantity, use or consume, possess, buy or sell, or give away any beverage containing alcohol; any tobacco or nicotine product, including vapor/E-cigarettes; marijuana; steroids; or any controlled substance. The School Committee prohibits the use, consumption, possession, purchase, or sale of alcohol, tobacco products, or drugs by students on school property or at any school function, regardless of where such function may be located.
Additionally, any student who is under the influence of drugs or alcoholic beverages prior to, or during, attendance at or participation in a school-sponsored activity, will first be assessed to determine whether emergency medical assistance is required. A student found in this condition will be barred from that activity and may be subject to disciplinary action and/or referral to law enforcement. A student in this situation will be referred to the school administration, who will arrange notification of the student’s parent/guardian. In a timely manner after the incident, the student will be referred to both a school nurse and a school counselor in order to provide support for the student and to determine whether the student and the student’s family should be advised to seek outside professional help for issues related to potential drug or alcohol abuse or dependence.
Students in possession of a controlled substance as defined in Chapter 94C, including, but not limited to, marijuana, cocaine, and heroin, may be subject to expulsion from the school, per MGL Chapter 71, Section 37H. If a student is determined to be distributing illegal drugs on school property or at a school function, the student will be referred to law enforcement. Searches of students and student property, and seizure of substances including alcohol, tobacco/nicotine devices, and controlled substances, may be conducted when such search and/or seizure is deemed necessary by a school administrator who has a reasonable suspicion that a student possesses a prohibited substance in order to preserve the safety of students and order in the school. School administrators will utilize discretion regarding whether to involve law enforcement in cases where students are found to be in possession of a prohibited substance. Lockers, which are school property, are subject to searches by the school’s administration and staff. On occasion, law enforcement officers and school administration will employ trained drug-sniffing dogs to check school property for prohibited substances, including classrooms, lockers, and parking lots.
This policy shall be posted on the district’s website and notice shall be provided to all students and parents of this policy in accordance with state law. Additionally, the district shall file a copy of this policy with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education in accordance with law in a manner requested by the agency.
This policy will be reviewed within five years of its most recent revision.
- Welcome to Oak Middle School
- About Us
- Forms & Information
- Mental Health & Wellness Resources
Activities & Clubs
- Clubs and Special Programs
- After School Activity Program
- Signing up for Sports, Activities, and Permissions on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- On-Line Activity Fee Payment Troubleshooting
- Online payment information
- Play-Out Club (opens in new window)
- Oak Latin Club
- Oak Middle School Student Handbook 22-23
- Counselors' Page
- Forms, Applications & Downloads
- Health Education Resources (opens in new window)
- Media Center (opens in new window)
- Nursing/Health Office
- Support Organizations
- 1:1 Technology Program
- Middle School PTO (opens in new window)
- Media Center
- Nursing/Health Office (opens in new window)
- Faculty & Staff Information
- Team/Classes 2022-23
- Lunch Menu (opens in new window)
Policies & Procedures
- iPad License Rules
- SPS Concussion Policy (opens in new window)
- Prevention Education Regarding the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Prohibition of the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Report Card Habits of Work and Learning (HOWLS) Rubics
- Accessing Trimester Grades on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Supply Lists
- Oak Site Map
- Work Permits
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.