Oak Chinese Class Newsletter
Dear Parents and Guardians,
你好 Nihao! I hope you all had a relaxing weekend and enjoyed the warm weather so far! Time flew by, and it is the end of trimester 2 already. I want to thank all parents for being supportive this year, and I appreciate it greatly.
In Grade 7, we learned the Animal Unit which includes pets, colors, and Chinese zodiacs; students can introduce what pets they/others have at home and talk about what Chinese zodiacs each family member has. We also learned about the Chinese New Year and had a short celebration in class, and students were very engaged in the different cultures, such as door decorations (red couplets), red envelopes, and some taboos.
Now we are learning the Country Unit, students will be able to tell people's nationality, describe which country's food they like, and state what country they want to travel to.
In Grade 8, we learned the House Unit which includes the vocabulary of rooms, furniture, and home appliances; students finished their project by designing a floor plan and making a video describing what rooms and items are on each floor. We also learned about the Chinese New Year and had a short celebration in class, and students were very engaged in the different cultures, such as door decorations (red couplets), red envelopes, and some taboos.
Now we are learning the Clothing Unit; students will be able to describe what clothing people are wearing in different colors and styles and briefly calculate the discount in-store.
Maternity Leave and Long-term Substitute
I am happy to share this news with my students and families that I am expecting my second child in early April 2022, and my last day at school before maternity leave will be Friday, April 1. I appreciate all the hard work that my director, Oak principals, and parents did for the interviews in the past months, and luckily we've found Ms. Luo as a highly qualified substitute for the rest of the school year teaching Chinese at Oak Middle School. She will be introduced to both 7th and 8th-grade students soon.
Chinese Course Recommendation for SHS (8th Grade Only)
The course recommendation result has been posted in Schoology under the Trimester 2 "Grades." Parents are welcome to ask students to show the recommendation on their iPad. If you and your child have a disagreement on the course placement that it shows in Schoology, please don't hesitate to contact me as soon as possible for further discussion.
Quizlet links include all the vocabularies covered in class:
(all of the vocabularies in Nihao Book 1&2)
Please remind your child to check Schoology regularly. In-class assignments, homework, and grades are posted there. Your child should be able to show you their work.
After School Extra Help Program:
Time: 2:35 - 3:15 pm, Thursdays
Location: Room 307, OMS
Thank you for your supports all the time! If you have further questions, you are always welcome to email me. My school email is email@example.com.
I hope you and your family have a great and healthy new year!
Yuan Meng / Menglaoshi
- Welcome to Oak Middle School
- About Us
- Forms & Information
- Mental Health & Wellness Resources
Activities & Clubs
- Clubs and Special Programs
- After School Activity Program
- Signing up for Sports, Activities, and Permissions on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- On-Line Activity Fee Payment Troubleshooting
- Online payment information
- Play-Out Club (opens in new window)
- Oak Latin Club
- Oak Middle School Student Handbook 22-23
- Counselors' Page
- Forms, Applications & Downloads
- Health Education Resources (opens in new window)
- Media Center (opens in new window)
- Nursing/Health Office
- Support Organizations
- 1:1 Technology Program
- Middle School PTO (opens in new window)
- Media Center
- Nursing/Health Office (opens in new window)
- Faculty & Staff Information
- Team/Classes 2022-23
- Lunch Menu (opens in new window)
Policies & Procedures
- iPad License Rules
- SPS Concussion Policy (opens in new window)
- Prevention Education Regarding the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Prohibition of the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Report Card Habits of Work and Learning (HOWLS) Rubics
- Accessing Trimester Grades on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Supply Lists
- Oak Site Map
- Work Permits
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.