POLICY FAMILY EDUCATION PROGRAMS 542
Policy 542: Prevention Education Regarding the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students
In accordance with state and federal law, each Shrewsbury Public School shall provide age-appropriate, developmentally appropriate, evidence-based alcohol, tobacco/nicotine, and drug prevention education.
The alcohol, tobacco/nicotine, and drug prevention education shall address the legal, social, and health consequences of alcohol, tobacco/nicotine, and drug use, with emphasis on non-use by school-age children. This education also shall include information about effective techniques and skill development for delaying and abstaining from using, as well as skills for addressing peer pressure to use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
The objectives of this program focus on healthy decision-making:
- To prevent, delay, and/or reduce alcohol, tobacco, and drug use among children and youth.
- To increase students’ understanding of the legal, social, and health consequences of alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.
- To teach students self-management skills, social skills, negotiation skills, and refusal skills that will help them to make healthy decisions and avoid alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.
The School Committee delegates decisions regarding specific curricula and educational methods to be used to district educators, subject to the approval of district administrators.
This policy shall be posted on the district’s website and notice shall be provided to all students and parents of this policy in accordance with state law. Additionally, the district shall file a copy of this policy with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education in accordance with law in a manner requested by the agency.
This policy will be reviewed within five years of adoption.
- About Us
- Mental Health & Wellness Resources
- Oak Middle School Student Handbook 20-21
- Counselors' Page
- Forms, Applications & Downloads
- Health Education Resources
- Media Center
- Nursing/Health Office
- Support Organizations
- 1:1 Technology Program
- Middle School PTO (opens in new window)
- Remote Learning Support and Resources
- Oak BCO Information for 2021-22
- Nursing/Health Office
- Faculty & Staff Information
- Team/Classes 2020-21
- Lunch Menu (opens in new window)
Policies & Procedures
- iPad License Rules
- SPS Concussion Policy (opens in new window)
- Prevention Education Regarding the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Prohibition of the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Report Card Habits of Work and Learning (HOWLS) Rubics
- Accessing Trimester Grades on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Oak Reopening Plan 2020
- Supply Lists
- Oak Site Map
- Work Permits
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.