Oak and Sherwood Middle Schools Unified Basketball Team 2022 - 2023
The Sherwood & Oak Middle Schools are proud to participate in the middle school Unified Sports Basketball league.
The league will utilize Special Olympics MA and Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) rules and will be composed of students with and without intellectual disabilities. The league strives to promote climates of dignity, respect and inclusion for students beyond the classroom. This program is currently in over 80 high schools and is now continuing at the middle level. The Unified Basketball team will involve winning and losing, but the primary focus is on gaining new skills, meeting personal goals and participating with a team. Here’s a video from Special Olympics to help educate about Unified Basketball.
This basketball team will compete in 2 games in March (one Home & one Away) with a culminating jamboree to end the season.
To participate students and their families are asked for the following commitment:
- Participate in all practices, held from 3 - 4pm, up to 2 times per week in the OMS Gym
- First two weeks of March: Practices-
- Third week of March: Practice & Game- (students will travel by bus to and from Auburn MS)-
- Fourth week of March: Practice & Game-
- All all participants, athletes and helpers MUST sign-up on the PowerSchool Parent Portal under Sports, Activities, Permission slips and have an up to date physical on file in the nurse’s office (no earlier than February 2, 2021).
- The SPS Colonial ID Form must be filled out and electronically signed on the Parent Portal as well.
If you have any questions please contact your child’s Special Education Liaison or the Unified Basketball Coach, Jason Ponticelli Jponticelli@shrewsbury.k12.ma.us .
Our Practice and Game Schedule for 2023 is as follows:
Please check back for dates.
- Welcome to Oak Middle School
- About Us
- Forms & Information
- Mental Health & Wellness Resources
- Activities & Clubs
- Oak Middle School Student Handbook 22-23
- Counselors' Page
- Forms, Applications & Downloads
- Health Education Resources (opens in new window)
- Media Center (opens in new window)
- Nursing/Health Office
- Support Organizations
- 1:1 Technology Program
- Middle School PTO (opens in new window)
- Media Center
- Nursing/Health Office (opens in new window)
- Faculty & Staff Information
- Team/Classes 2022-23
- Lunch Menu (opens in new window)
Policies & Procedures
- iPad License Rules
- SPS Concussion Policy (opens in new window)
- Prevention Education Regarding the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Prohibition of the Use of Alcohol, Tobacco/Nicotine, and Drugs by Students (opens in new window)
- Report Card Habits of Work and Learning (HOWLS) Rubics
- Accessing Trimester Grades on the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Supply Lists
- Oak Site Map
- Work Permits
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.