Physical Education Syllabus 2019-2020
The Physical Education staff at Sherwood Middle School is looking forward to working with your child this year. We hope that each student cooperates so that the best possible Physical Education program can be provided; one which will promote a sense of team unity, good health, and lots of fun. Physical Education will be offered to all students in the middle school in thirty day cycles. Students will have two cycles throughout the year. Activities will include cooperative games, fitness activities, and team sports. We encourage all students to participate to the best of their ability and to exhibit sportsmanship and fair play. We look forward to a fun filled year with all of the students here at Sherwood.
Realizing the importance of our physical fitness goal, a fitness assessment will be administered to each student twice during the school year. The evaluation is designed to assess minimum standards for cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility and lower back strength, set by the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and the Cooper Institute for Aerobic Research. The five components of this assessment are the Pacer Test, Curl Ups, Push-Ups, Sit & Reach, and Trunk Lift. The Physical Education Department expects all students to adequately prepare for this assessment, as data will be collected and analyzed.
Physical Education staff will also facilitate the recording of postural screening to assist the nurses and comply with health record requirements. Students may be excused from the postural screening as long as we have a doctor’s documentation stating that they have been tested with findings noted.
Rules and requirements:
- A change of clothes from the regular school clothing is required for each class.
- Proper athletic sneakers area must. No Sandals, boots, shoes, platform sneakers, slip on sneakers or sneakers without laces will be allowed.
- Proper gym clothing must be worn during class. Examples include t-shirts, sweatshirts, athletic shorts, sweatpants, or wind pants.
- We ask that there be no bulky zippers, buttons, or large pockets on any articles of clothing for safety reasons.
- Gym clothing must be cleaned regularly. We recommend that students bring home their cloths for cleaning periodically.
- We strongly recommend that all students label their clothing.
- Students will have five minutes before and after class to change. Showers are not required.
- All Sherwood middle school students will receive a grade in Physical Education at the end of each marking period.
- Grades will be based on 4 Physical Education Standards:
- Participation in individual and group activities.
- Demonstrates motor skill development.
- Meets physical fitness benchmarks.
- Follows directions and cooperates in class.
- The following reasons will not hurt a student’s grades; legal absence from school, excused illness, injury, and school sponsored activities.
- The nurse, parent, or physician must notify the Physical Education instructor if the student is to be excused from class. We request a written note on the day of the excused illness.
- If a note is not provided the student will not receive credit for that class.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the locker room or gym.
- No gum or candy.
- Students are not allowed to use any equipment in the gym if unsupervised.
- Students must receive permission before leaving the gym, playing field or locker room areas.
- Please report all injuries to the instructors.
- Horseplay is absolutely, positively not allowed and will not be tolerated.
If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to call 841-8670 or email us.
We look forward to working with your child!
- Mr. DiGristina (ext. 4728)
- Mrs. DeSantis (ext. 4729)
- Mr. Nathan Forest (ext. 4728)
- About Us
- Forms & Information
- Mental Health & Wellness Resources
- Faculty & Staff
- Lunch Menu
- Policies & Procedures
- Extended Day Program
- Health Education Resources
- Nursing/Health Office
- Media Center
- Support Organizations
- 1:1 Technology Program
- iPad App Reference Videos
- Physical Education
- MCAS Testing Dates and Times
- Andy's Closet
- Supply Lists
- Summer Resources
- Information for New Families
- School Council
- Student Voice
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.