Information on Health & Sexuality Education
There are a variety of courses offered at Shrewsbury High School that include information with reference to sexuality and human growth and development. These programs have been developed by our professional staff and endorsed by the Health Education Advisory Council. The overall goal is to promote the health and well being of our students and to help them make wise and informed decisions during their teenage years and beyond.
Sexuality education is a component within the Health, Science, Social Studies, and Family and Consumer Science Departments. Topics such as puberty; dating; relationships and communication skills; pregnancy; birth control; abortion; sexual orientation; prevention of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases; and prevention of sexual abuse are included. The specific courses that include these topics are listed below. Parents are welcome to review the materials for these curricula. Please contact the appropriate dept director to arrange a convenient time and location.
During the instruction, students will be able to ask questions, which will be answered factually and in an age-appropriate manner. Each student’s privacy will be respected, and no one will be put on the spot to ask or answer questions or reveal personal information. Material will be presented in a balanced, factual way that makes clear that people may have strong religious and moral beliefs about issues such as birth control and abortion, and that these beliefs must be respected.
Under Massachusetts law MA G.L. C. 71 §32A and School Committee policy, a parent may exempt a child from any portion of the curriculum that primarily involves human sexual education or human sexuality issues. To receive an exemption, simply send a letter requesting an exemption for your child to the principal. No student who is exempted from this portion of the curriculum will be penalized. The school will provide an alternative assignment to students who are exempted.
- School Counseling Staff Contacts
- College Visit Scheduling (for Colleges Only)
Program of Studies
- Principal's Message
- Shrewsbury High School’s Mission, Core Values, & 21st Century Learning Expectations
- Shrewsbury Public Schools Non-Discrimination Policy
- General Information
- Information on Health and Sexuality Education
- Special Programs
- English Department
- English Language Education Department
- Family and Consumer Sciences Department
- Health and Physical Education Department
- Technology, Media & Business
- Mathematics Department
- Performing Arts Department
- Science and Engineering Department
- Social Sciences Department
- Visual Arts Department
- World Language Department
- Family-Counselor Connection: Events and Newsletters
- College Related Testing
- College Planning Night: For Juniors and Families
- Financial Aid Information
- Nuts & Bolts Night: For Seniors and Families
- Special Programs
- Forms and Documents
- Jobs for Students
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.