September 6, 2023
Dear Shrewsbury Families,
Based on the forecast for temperature and relative humidity both overnight and tomorrow, we expect temperatures inside non-air conditioned spaces to become even hotter than they were over the past two days. In my judgment, the conditions in non-climate controlled classrooms will be unhealthy in the afternoon hours, and as a result I have decided that tomorrow (Thursday, September 7) will be an early release day for all Shrewsbury Public Schools according to the schedule below.
Please note the following for all Shrewsbury Public Schools:
- All schools will follow the early release schedule regardless of the school’s climate control infrastructure, due to shared bus schedules and families with multiple children in different schools
- The early dismissal schedule will be essentially the same as traditional early release days: 3 hours prior to the regular dismissal time. Because we have new school start times this year, tomorrow’s dismissal times will be as follows. Bus drop-offs and pick-up by vehicle will run 3 hours earlier than a typical day. Dismissal times will be:
- SHS: 11:20am
- RISE Program: 11:30am
- Oak & Sherwood: 12:00pm
- Beal, Coolidge, Floral Street, Paton, & Spring Street: 12:30pm
- Morning preschool sessions will run as usual; afternoon preschool sessions are canceled (Parker Road Preschool/Parker Road at Beal/Little Colonials)
- Morning Extended School Care will run as usual; all after school Extended School Care is canceled
- Students will be able to take a “grab and go” lunch when dismissed; lunch will
notbe served at school
- We are within the state guidelines for instructional time and this early release will not require any making up of the time at the end of the school year
- After school/evening activities such as athletics may be held, following established heat protocols; information will be sent directly to affected students
I will not make a decision about Friday’s schedule until Thursday afternoon.
Thank you for your understanding and your flexibility.