SPS Equity Audit Letter to Families - January 14, 2020
Dear SPS Families,
As you know, our district goals and strategic priorities are built on the premise that all students and families matter. As a school district, we must be inclusive in our efforts to increase achievement opportunities. We have decided to seek out our district’s strengths and areas of improvement related to these goals. We have partnered with Dr. Cathy Cummins and Kiesha Lamb of Assabet Valley Collaborative (AVC) to help us with regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion through a formal Equity audit process.
What is an Equity audit? An Equity Audit is an assessment of the diversity, equity, and inclusion within an entity.
Equity audits are cause for introspection along with opportunities for celebration and improvement. Over the next few months, SPS will partner with AVC to organize small groups of SPS students, staff and families to share their insights directly. The goal is to get a more well rounded assessment of our strengths and areas of improvement from a variety of perspectives; especially from perspectives that are not always heard or received. Your perspective really matters and AVC is willing to accommodate your needs in order to hear your voice.
All schools will be visited, students will be chosen to participate in interviews and/or small focus groups. Everyone’s voice and actions matter, however with limited time, the auditors will target groups based on the district’s goals.
We hope this Equity audit will provide quality information on the following essential questions:
How do SPS students and staff experience being learners in the district?
What root causes might explain the data for minoritized groups (amongst students, families and staff) within the district?
What do our minoritized groups need to experience success, safety, and a sense of belonging?
What does minoritized mean in this context? Some groups are minorities only in certain settings, not in relation to the groups they originate from or belong to. AVC has adopted the use of the language “minoritized” instead of “minority” to acknowledge the various identities and the power dynamic of the setting on the specific individuals and groups.
Scheduling will be the first phase of the audit process and additional communications will follow as needed. Please let us know by Tuesday January 21 if you are interested in being a part of a focus group by clicking on this LINK. Someone will reach out to you for scheduling. Please follow up any questions with Kiesha Lamb at email@example.com or at 508.768.5007
Thanks for all you do, every day, to support and empower your child(ren) in Shrewsbury Public Schools.
The SPS Equity Audit Steering Committee
Meg Belsito, Assistant Superintendent for Student Services
Amy Clouter, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
Noelle Freeman, Director of School Nursing
Barb Malone, Executive Director of Human Resources
- Mission & Core Values
- Portrait of a Graduate
- 2023-2027 Strategic Plan
- 2023-2024 Strategic Goals and Action Steps
- Sleep Health Advisory Committee/School Start Times
- School Department Report - 2022 Shrewsbury Annual Town Report
- 2018 & 2019 Annual Report
- Feedback From Stakeholders
- State of the District
- Student Enrollment & Staffing Levels
- Bullying Prevention & Intervention
- 2023-2024 School Year Calendar
- 2023-2024 School Year Calendar (In Portuguese)
- 2023-2024 School Year Calendar (In Spanish)
- 2023-2024 School Year Calendar (In Simplified Chinese)
- 2023-2024 School Year Calendar (In Arabic)
- Delays, Dismissals, Cancellations, & Last Day Calendar
- 2022-2023 School Year Calendar
- 2022-2023 School Year Calendar (In Portuguese)
- 2022-2023 School Year Calendar (In Spanish)
- Dismissal Information for Early Release Days due to Professional Development
- Calendar Committee Report - January 2016 (opens in new window)
- Calendar Committee Slide Presentation - January 2016 (opens in new window)
- Coronavirus Information
- Equity Information
- Community Bulletin
- Shrewsbury School Journal
- Superintendent's Blog (opens in new window)
- Superintendent's Update
- Mailing Lists
- Social Media
- Mandated Notifications
- Interpretation & Translation Services
- Translate a Document or Website Page
- 2018 & 2019 Annual Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report (opens in new window)
- 2015 Annual Report (opens in new window)
- District Communications Survey Results Fall 2019 (opens in new window)
- District Communications Survey Slide Presentation December 2019 (opens in new window)
- Contact Us
- Enrollment Data
- Frequently Requested Forms & Applications
- Safety & Security
- Shrewsbury Education Association (opens in new window)
- School Wellness Advisory Committee (SWAC)
- Student Registration
- Support Organizations
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Well-Being Guide
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.