Striving to Bring Innovative and Authentic Learning Beyond the Classroom
"There is no power for change greater than a community
discovering what it cares about."
Margaret J. Wheatley
What is it?
Colonial Connections is a bridge between the Shrewsbury Public Schools and the surrounding community, and seeks to provide opportunities for students to develop real-world skills and career awareness, in order to prepare them for future success beyond their education and to help them decide on their higher education and career paths.
Why does Colonial Connections exist?
Building and sustaining partnerships between the school district and families, businesses, non-profits, higher education organizations, and alumni in order to enhance opportunities for student learning experiences, is integral to the education of our students. Colonial Connections seeks to develop partner, volunteer, and financial support to advance the district’s mission and goals, while providing opportunities to enhance the social, emotional, and physical well-being of students and staff.
Colonial Connections endeavors to meet the district’s strategic goals under Connected Learning for a Complex World:
- Build community partnerships with businesses, institutions, and individuals in order to increase access to experiential learning and career awareness and to enhance learning in the STEAM fields (science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics)
- Provide opportunities that help students develop independence after graduation, including exposure to career choices.
- Works with businesses, colleges, and other community partners to develop student opportunities
- Cultivates relationships with institutions of higher education
- Enhances family-school engagement through district-level organization and development
- Leads initiatives that advance the district’s ability to implement culturally proficient practices
- Serves as a district liaison to agencies and organizations
- Directs and leads efforts of Coordinators of Development and Volunteer Activities in order to support district initiatives
- Assists in identifying and developing community-based alternative revenue sources
- Collaborates with district leaders, school principals, and local stakeholder groups to build deeper connections between the district and the broader community
- Builds a network of Shrewsbury Public Schools alumni in order to develop relationships to inform and support district and school improvements
- Leads or participates in project work that actively supports progress of district strategic priorities and goals related to student and staff well-being
- Oversees the K-12 Health, Physical Education, and Family Consumer Sciences Department
- Works collaboratively with the Assistant Superintendent for Student Services and the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment to identify and implement social emotional learning strategies and programming for students
- Oversees extended learning programming in order to enhance programs and curriculum
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Nursing to coordinate meetings and work of the district’s School Wellness Advisory Committee
- Serves as a liaison to the Central Massachusetts Regional Health Alliance
- Develops measures and methods to articulate the value of the district’s well-being strategy and programming
- Contributes to the district’s onboarding, mentoring, and induction programs for new staff
- Seeks grant opportunities for the development of programs
- Utilizes cable television, social media, and other communication channels to create and distribute information on partnerships and well-being
- Advises the Superintendent in areas of responsibility and initiates program proposals and activities to improve services and/or increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the school district
If you have any questions about Colonial Connections or becoming a Shrewsbury Public Schools Community Partner, please contact us at email@example.com.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.