School Bus Transportation
The transportation program of the Shrewsbury Public Schools is one of many services that the district provides to support the education of its students from kindergarten through grade 12. The three-tiered system (high school, middle school, elementary) transports over 4,000 students who attend our schools each day. The program involves 44 buses at a cost of over $2 million each year. In accordance with state law, transportation services must be competitively bid. Currently, we have a five-year contract with AA Transportation Company for in district transportation through August of 2018. Note: For special education out-of-district transportation please contact the Special Education Department at 508-841-8660.
Bus Privilege Registration for the 2015-2016 School Year
All who wish to use bus transportation are REQUIRED to register each year, regardless of whether fees apply.
(This includes families who have reached the family cap.)
- Students that attend private schools in Shrewsbury or Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School must submit a paper registration form which can be found HERE.
- Students that attend Shrewsbury Public Schools can register using their Powerschool Parent Portal account. Please read information BELOW.
Registration Procedure -
2015-2016 Bus Privilege Shrewsbury Public Schools
Step 1: Online Registration - The registration process begins with the online portion through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. If you cannot access your Parent Portal account, please email the registrar Diane Abbott .
A message will be displayed during the registration process stating whether or not a fee is required. Print the online registration confirmation form for your records. If no fee is due, your registration is complete.*
*Exception - The confirmation forms for students that do not require a fee due to the "Family Cap" must still be mailed with the other two registration forms where payment is due.
Step 2: Bus Privilege Fee - If payment is required, submit printed registration confirmation form AND payment with a check or money order made payable to Shrewsbury Public Schools. Drop off or mail to Shrewsbury Public Schools Transportation, 100 Maple Ave., Shrewsbury MA. 01545. Payment AND form must be received OR postmarked by June 1 to avoid a late fee and to be included in the rebate drawing.
Step 3: Bus Stop Information - Parents/Guardians will obtain bus number and stop location information in late August by accessing the PowerSchool Parent Portal. No information will be sent to homes. The Transportation Department will communicate by email when the information is available in the Parent Portal.
- Payment Requirements - All students in grades K-6 who reside under 2.01 miles from their school and students in grades 7-12 are REQUIRED to pay the fee. The bus fee* will remain the same - $250.00 per child with a $500.00 family cap. *You will see a message in your Powerschool Parent Portal as part of the registration indicating whether or not a fee is required
- Type of Payment Accepted - If payment is required, we can only accept checks or money orders and will NOT be utilizing an online payment system. Make checks payable to Shrewsbury Public Schools and mail in or drop off to: 100 Maple Ave., School Dept./Transportation Dept. along with the confirmation printout.
- Late Fee - A $50.00 per child late fee with $100.00 family cap will be incurred for late bus registrations and/or payment. PLEASE NOTE: Our transportation department begins the routing process immediately following the conclusion of the registration time frame. Therefore students will NOT be guaranteed bus privileges for the first few weeks of school unless BOTH registration and payment are received at the school department office on or before June 1 at 4:30 p.m. or postmarked by the deadline on June 1, 2015. This is absolutely necessary to: allow for internal processing and adequate time for our transportation contractor to plan routes, check route timing, train the drivers, and to evaluate the ridership capacity to ensure the safety and comfort of all students transported.
- Free and Reduced Lunch Qualifications - Students who have qualified for free and reduced lunch are entitled to free transportation provided that an application for qualification has been submitted and approved each year. Click HERE for details. Please refer to the Policies and Procedures document HERE (item #5) for more information.
- Refund Policy - Refunds will be issued if the refund request is received by 4:30 pm on August 31, 2015. A processing fee of $25 per student will be deducted from the refund request. However, if there is a question regarding your need for transportation for the upcoming year, please apply anyway and send payment, if applicable, with a note explaining your situation. The business office will individually consider all refund requests. Having all registration information before the routing is arranged is extremely beneficial for our contractor to ensure efficiency and safety for all of our students.
As a friendly reminder ALL students entering grade 7 are now required to pay for busing privileges regardless of mileage. Be sure to select the 2015-2016 school year option.
Please refer to the Transportation Policies and Procedures document under "Featured Pages" below. Also check the FAQ document under "News and Announcements" below. Many updates and changes have been instituted. General questions can be sent via email.
News and Announcements
- Translated Bus Registration Instructions
- Translated Power School Parent Portal changes
Forms and Applications
- Bus Change Request Form- Downloadable PDF
- Daycare Transportation Request Form
- Bus Change Request Form
- Powerschool Parent Portal Instructions
- Student Bus Conduct Report