Science & Engineering Department
Dave Hruskoci, Director 508-841-8836
In this academic area, students learn more than the basic knowledge about specific sciences; students learn the lifelong skill of approaching a problem in a scientific manner. In our technology-based society with its rapid rate of change, having a solid science background will be an essential asset for students to make informed decisions.
Using the Massachusetts Science and Technology/Engineering High School Standards, and Common Core Standards as guides and reinforcements for teaching practices, the Science Department:
- builds on students' curiosity and existing knowledge by modeling questioning along with making connections between the present science course and ideas carried over from earlier studies and experiences.
- expands the inquiry approach to laboratory investigations. Often, investigations are open ended, allowing students to move in directions that develop as students generate questions and find ways to answer their own questions.
- develops habits of mind that emphasize a respect for evidence, persistence, open-mindedness and awareness of the effects of our actions on the surroundings in which we live.
- integrates technology, science, mathematics and human affairs to investigate complex problems faced in today's world.
- emphasizes the applications of all areas of science to our students' lives.
Students in ninth grade will take discipline-specific Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) exams based on their enrollment in either Introductory Physics or Biology. Passing one of these exams is a graduation requirement of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
General Course Offerings (All Students)
|Intro Physics - Lab Level||Chemistry - Lab Level|
|Intro Physics - A Level||Chemistry - A Level|
|Intro Physics - Honors Level||Chemistry - Honors Level|
|Biology - Lab Level||Chemistry - Honors Research Methods|
|Biology - A Level||Physics - A Level|
|Biology - Honors Level||Physics - Honors|
|Biology - Honors Research Methods||Environmental Science - A Level|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology - Hon.|
Advanced placement (AP) and Semester Electives
|Advanced Placement - prerequisite(s)||Semester Electives (12th grade Only)|
|AP Chemistry - Honors chemistry||Bio Ethics - A level or Honors|
|AP Physics - Hon. Physics or AP Chem||Astronomy - A level or Honors|
|AP Biology - Hon. Bio & Hon. Chem||Oceanography - A level or Honors|
|AP Environmental - Hon. Bio & Chem|
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.