Middle School Summer Extensions
The Middle School Summer Extensions program (MSSE) offers fun, hands-on learning experiences for students entering grades 5-8. The program runs for four weeks in June and July, with half-day and full day options available. Classes are taught by Shrewsbury Public School professionals and support the Shrewsbury curriculum standards and Massachusetts curriculum frameworks. Topics include art, science, sports, technology, drama, writing, engineering and much more. With hundreds of classes to choose from, there’s something for everyone.
Registration is open until April 25th at 3:00PM
Click below to view the catalog
Sherwood Middle School - 28 Sherwood Ave, Shrewsbury
2017 Program Dates:
- Classes are offered MONDAYS - THURSDAYS the following weeks:
- June 26 - 29
- July 10 - 13
- July 17 - 20
- July 24 - 27
- Morning Sessions 8:15-11:15
- Afternoon Sessions 11:45-2:45
- Full Day Sessions 8:15-2:45
- Early Drop Off 7:00-8:15
- Extended Day 2:45-6:00
|Program||Cost per class|
AM or PM Session
|$70 + $10 registration fee|
|Full Day Session||$150 + $10 registration fee|
|Early Drop off||$25 + $10 registration fee|
|Extended Day||$60 + $10 registration fee|
- Financial Aid is available to qualifying families
- Some classes have an additional materials fee added to the cost of the class. These fees are listed in the course description.
Registration and Payment Schedule:
2/8/17 Catalog available for preview
2/13/17 Registration opens 7:00AM
2/28/17 Registration closes
3/9/17 Anticipated date invoices will be mailed
3/23/17 Payment and health forms due
4/11/17 Second Registration opens 7:00AM
4/25/17 Second Registration closes
5/8/17 Anticipated date second invoices will be mailed
5/22/17 Payment for second registration due
Registration Policies and Procedures
Parents are limited to one course selection, per child, per session. Classes will be closed as they are filled and will no longer be visible on the registration form once closed. Please select your classes carefully! Each class has a $10 NON-REFUNDABLE REGISTRATION FEE. If, after you register, you decide you no longer want to take a class, a $10 registration fee is still owed for each class you cancel. These fees will be reflected on your invoice. New registrations will not be accepted for any other classes without this payment.
Since the Middle School Summer Extensions program must be financially self-sufficient, courses that do not attract adequate enrollment will not be offered. In the event that a class is cancelled, you will not be charged a registration fee for that class. If you pay for a class that is listed as "pending and enrolling" and that class is later cancelled, a full refund (including registration fee) will be sent. ONCE FULL PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GRANTED UNLESS A CLASS IS CANCELLED DUE TO LOW ENROLLMENT.
Payments and required forms:
To complete your registration you must submit:
- Full payment
- A copy of your bill
- Completed Emergency/Student Health forms (no doctor's signature required - download from the forms menu on the left)
Checks should be made payable to " Middle School Summer Extensions Program"
Please submit all documentation with your payment to:
- Middle School Summer Extensions Program
- c/o Sherwood Middle School
- 28 Sherwood Ave
- Shrewsbury, MA 01545
You may also drop off your payments in the main office of the Sherwood Middle School. There will be a payment box on the counter labeled "Summer Enrichment." Please do not bring your payments to the School Department office.
The course offerings are targeted for specific grade levels; please note that each course lists the grades that students must be entering in the fall of 2016 in order to qualify. If your child is too young or too old for a class, he/she will be removed from the class list. Exceptions will not be made regarding grade level eligibility for a course.
- All programs will be held at the Sherwood Middle School. Transportation to and from the program is the responsibility of the student's family.
- Snacks and/or lunch are to be provided by the student's family. Students who are enrolled in full day sessions (or both half-day morning and half-day afternoon sessions) are welcome to bring a bagged lunch and eat in the cafeteria from 11:15-11:45. The lunch period is supervised by summer enrichment staff. Lunch is not available for purchase during this time.
- A nurse will be on site daily from 8:15AM-2:45PM. Parents must download and complete the student health/emergency form and mail it with their payment (see forms menu on the left.) This is separate from the forms you may have completed during the regular school year. A new form is required for summer registration to be complete. A medication order form must also be on file with the summer nurse if your child will require medication during the day. This medication order must completed and signed by your child's prescribing physician/nurse practitioner and must also be signed by a parent/legal guardian. Please note, there will not be a nurse on site during the program's extended hours (7:00-8:15 and 2:45-6:00) and extended day staff are not authorized to dispense medication.
- If your child has an epi-pen for allergies, and/or will require medication during the summer program, you must drop off this medication in person with the summer nurse. Medication must be delivered in a pharmacy or manufacturer labeled container. No more than a 30 day supply of medicine may be delivered to the summer program. Please do not send your child to the program with medication - all medication must be dropped off by an authorized adult directly to the summer nurse. The nurse will be available to accept medication and discuss any medical concerns on a designated day in late June. Please check the website in early June for the specific date, time and location.
- The summer enrichment program is an extracurricular activity. Students who do not meet expectations for appropriate behavior may be asked to leave the program.
Please email any of your questions or concerns to MSSE@shrewsbury.k12.ma.us. Please do not call the Central Office, or the Sherwood Middle School with questions about the summer enrichment program.
We look forward to having your child in the program this summer!
Kristen Minio, MSSE program coordinator
Parent Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures:
Parents will enter the back driveway to Sherwood via Crescent Street. There is no entrance from Hutchins Street in the morning or afternoon, and only bus traffic is allowed in front of the building. Please follow the traffic pattern into and around the parking lot to the side door. Adults will direct you where to stop; we ask that you pull up as far as possible so more than one car can unload at a time. When exiting the parking lot you may either take a right and proceed back to Crescent Street, or take a left and exit via Hutchins St.
If you would prefer to walk your student into the program, please park your car in the same parking lot and enter through the side door. Program staff will be available to direct you and your student to the appropriate location.