Middle School Summer Extensions
Preview the catalog here!
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. THERE WILL BE A SECOND REGISTRATION PERIOD IN APRIL FOR ANY CLASSES THAT STILL HAVE OPENINGS.
SECOND REGISTRATION OPENS WEDNESDAY APRIL 4TH AT 7:00AM. THE REGISTRATION LINK WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE AT THAT TIME.
The Middle School Summer Extensions program (MSSE) offers fun, hands-on learning experiences for students entering grades 5-8. The program runs for four weeks in June and July, with half-day and full day options available. Classes are taught by Shrewsbury Public School professionals and support the Shrewsbury curriculum standards and Massachusetts curriculum frameworks. Topics include art, science, sports, technology, drama, writing, engineering and much more. With hundreds of classes to choose from, there’s something for everyone.
Sherwood Middle School - 28 Sherwood Ave, Shrewsbury
2018 Program Dates:
- Classes are offered MONDAYS - THURSDAYS the following weeks:
- June 25 - 28
- July 9 - 12
- July 16 - 19
- July 23 - 26
Schedule: new times for 2018!
- Morning Sessions 8:00-11:00 (drop off begins at 7:30)
- Afternoon Sessions 11:30-2:30
- Full Day Sessions 8:00-2:30
- Extended Day 2:30-6:00
|Program||Cost per class|
AM or PM Session
|$70 + $10 registration fee|
|Full Day Session||$150 + $10 registration fee|
|Early Drop off||$25 + $10 registration fee|
|Extended Day||$60 + $10 registration fee|
- Financial Aid is available to qualifying families
- Some classes have an additional materials fee added to the cost of the class. These fees are listed in the course description.
Registration Policies and Procedures
Parents are limited to one course selection, per child, per session. Classes will be closed as they are filled and will no longer be visible on the registration form once closed. Please select your classes carefully! Each class has a $10 NON-REFUNDABLE REGISTRATION FEE. If, after you register, you decide you no longer want to take a class, a $10 registration fee is still owed for each class you cancel. These fees will be reflected on your invoice. New registrations will not be accepted for any other classes without this payment.
Since the Middle School Summer Extensions program must be financially self-sufficient, courses that do not attract adequate enrollment will not be offered. In the event that a class is cancelled, you will not be charged a registration fee for that class. If you pay for a class that is listed as "pending and enrolling" and that class is later cancelled, a full refund (including registration fee) will be sent. ONCE FULL PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GRANTED UNLESS A CLASS IS CANCELLED DUE TO LOW ENROLLMENT.
Payments and required forms:
To complete your registration you must submit:
- Full payment
- A copy of your bill
- Completed Emergency/Student Health forms (no doctor's signature required - download from the forms menu on the left)
Checks should be made payable to " Middle School Summer Extensions Program"
Please submit all documentation with your payment to:
- Middle School Summer Extensions Program
- c/o Sherwood Middle School
- 28 Sherwood Ave
- Shrewsbury, MA 01545
You may also drop off your payments in the main office of the Sherwood Middle School. There will be a payment box on the counter labeled "Summer Enrichment." Please do not bring your payments to the School Department office.
The course offerings are targeted for specific grade levels; please note that each course lists the grades that students must be entering in the fall of 2018 in order to qualify. If your child is too young or too old for a class, he/she will be removed from the class list. Exceptions will not be made regarding grade level eligibility for a course.
- All programs will be held at the Sherwood Middle School. Transportation to and from the program is the responsibility of the student's family.
- Snacks and/or lunch are to be provided by the student's family. Students who are enrolled in full day sessions (or both half-day morning and half-day afternoon sessions) are welcome to bring a bagged lunch and eat in the cafeteria from 11:00-11:30. The lunch period is supervised by summer enrichment staff. Lunch is not available for purchase during this time.
- A nurse will be on site daily from 8:00AM-2:30PM. Parents must download and complete the student health/emergency form and mail it with their payment (see forms menu on the left.) This is separate from the forms you may have completed during the regular school year. A new form is required for summer registration to be complete. A medication order form must also be on file with the summer nurse if your child will require medication during the day. This medication order must completed and signed by your child's prescribing physician/nurse practitioner and must also be signed by a parent/legal guardian. Please note, there will not be a nurse on site during the program's extended hours (2:30-6:00) and extended day staff are not authorized to dispense medication.
- If your child has an epi-pen for allergies, and/or will require medication during the summer program, you must drop off this medication in person with the summer nurse. Medication must be delivered in a pharmacy or manufacturer labeled container. No more than a 30 day supply of medicine may be delivered to the summer program. Please do not send your child to the program with medication - all medication must be dropped off by an authorized adult directly to the summer nurse. The nurse will be available to accept medication and discuss any medical concerns on a designated day in late June. Please check the website in early June for the specific date, time and location.
- The summer enrichment program is an extracurricular activity. Students who do not meet expectations for appropriate behavior may be asked to leave the program.
Please email any of your questions or concerns to MSSE@shrewsbury.k12.ma.us. Please do not call the Central Office, or the Sherwood Middle School with questions about the summer enrichment program.
We look forward to having your child in the program this summer!
Kristen Minio, MSSE program coordinator
Drop-off and pick-up procedures
All drop off and pick up should be done through the parent looping line in the Crescent Street parking lot.
Morning Session - drop off between 8:00-8:15AM, Pick up promptly at 11:15
Afternoon Session - drop off between 11:30-11:45, Pick up promptly at 2:45
Full Day Session - drop off between 8:00-8:15AM, Pick up promptly at 2:45
Parents will enter the back driveway to Sherwood via Crescent Street. There is no entrance from Hutchins Street in the morning or afternoon. Parents and caretakers will follow the traffic pattern into and around the parking lot. We ask that you pull up as far as possible so more than one car can unload at a time. You will be able to exit the lot by turning right to exit via Crescent Street or by turning left to exit via Hutchins Street.