Student Registration Process
To register your child you will need to:
Please begin by going down to # 12 on this list, that is where you fill out the online registration form. Once completed, you will get a 5 digit confirmation number, which you must bring with you when you meet with the Registrar. The online registration can be done anytime, but must be done no later than midnight the night before you come in to meet with the Registrar. Below is a list of the required documents you need to bring with you. If you are missing any documents, Mrs. Abbott will NOT be able to complete your registration.
All grade levels will need:
- Student’s birth certificate with raised seal and valid passport if not a US birth certificate – Photocopies will not be accepted
- Legal document showing both child’s name and name(s) of parent(s) (if not on Birth Certificate)
- One of the following from the parent/legal guardian registering the child/children: Valid Driver’s License, Valid Photo ID Card, Valid Passport or other Valid Government Issued Photo ID
- Immunization Records & Copy of Last Physical
- Two forms of Residency (Gas/oil bill, electric bill, cable bill, water bill, real estate tax bill, signed * Purchase & Sales agreement or signed Lease. (All must be dated within the last 45 days) If new to town a newly signed P & S or Lease is all that will be required. Car excise tax bill is NOT accepted.
- IEP (Special Education Records) if applicable
- 504 Plan (if applicable)
- Home Language Survey (for families who speak another language besides English in the home – fill out and bring to registration)
- Custody papers showing you have physical custody (if applicable)
- Restraining order (if applicable)
- Letter from DCFS - for students in DCFS custody only
- Complete Online Registration – Click here to access the online registration form (can be done anytime, but must be done by midnight the night before you come in to complete the registration process)
For Grades 1 through 12 we also need:
- Signed Incoming Student Release Form – fill out and bring to registration
- Last Report Card for students entering grades 1 through 8 - Transcripts, Attendance Record and Discipline Records for students grade 9 through 12. If coming from out of US we need all school records.
For Preschool and Full Day Kindergarten:
- $75.00 deposit – checks should be made payable to Shrewsbury Public Schools
For Kindergarten students enrolling for the next school year:
- Screening Questionnaire – fill out questionnaire and bring to registration
· Students must reside at the address listed in the registration. If using a P&S agreement, you must be residing in the home within 60 days of the closing date listed on the P&S according to School Committee policy. Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 76, Section 5 states: Every person shall have a right to attend the public schools of the town where he/she actually resides, subject to the following section. No school committee is required to enroll a person who does not actually reside in the town unless said enrollment is authorized by law or by the school committee. Any person who violates or assists in the violation of this provision may be required to remit full restitution to the town of the improperly-attended public schools. No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town, or in obtaining the advantages, privileges and courses of study of such public school on account of race, color, sex, religion, national origin or sexual orientation. (Amended by st. 1971, c.622, c.1; st. 1973, c. 925, s.9A, st. 1993, c.282; st.2004, c.352, s.33)
If warranted, residency checks may be conducted by the School Department or the Shrewsbury Police Department at any time during a child’s enrollment in the Shrewsbury Public Schools.
Once the online registration is complete and you have all the required paperwork, you will need to contact our Registrar, Diane Abbott at 508-841-8320 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment to come to the School Department at Town Hall 100 Maple Avenue to complete the registration process.
Once completed, it takes 3 to 4 school days before the child can begin school.
Upon completion of the registration process, your child will be assigned to the appropriate school.
If you have a child that is age eligible for kindergarten for the upcoming school year, please give the child’s information to Diane Abbott, Registrar no later than the last school day in December.
Students enrolling for Preschool must call 508-841-8646 to check if space is available and for age requirements before completing the registration form. Students over age 20 or who have completed the equivalent of a high school education will not be registered in the Shrewsbury Public Schools.
Forms and Applications