Janet Pope, Media Specialist Darlene Noonan, Media Aide
Welcome to the Sherwood Middle School Media Center! In addition to visiting with your class, you're welcome to stop in whenever your teacher allows. Students may check out two books for up to two weeks, and a book may be renewed as long as it's not on hold for another student. Ask at the desk if there's a book you'd like us to reserve for you. ELA books (read by the entire class) don't count toward the two-book limit. :-) Find a label-your-own map of the Media Center here.
Thank you to all who supported our Scholastic Book Fair! Proceeds will be used to purchase materials for the Media Center for all students to enjoy.
Thank you, too, to the families who've donated magazine subscriptions to the Media Center through the PTO Magazine Drive. They're very popular!
Mrs. Pope looks forward to seeing many 5th-graders in Media Enrichment class at some point during the year. We'll start each cycle by choosing a research topic/question and locating reliable information in books and online. Students will find any documents needed for class in Schoology resources.
Students in Mrs. Pope's Allied Arts class will find this Google Custom Search useful.
LINKS FOR RESEARCH--Try these databases when you're looking for information on any topic:
See the Dewey Decimal System categories from the Internet Public Library.
Use NoodleTools to create your next Works Cited and to organize your research notes.
Check out these books that illustrate Sherwood's core values each month of the school year.
Follett Shelf eBooks--Read ebooks from the Media Center (selected with Sherwood students in mind!) on your iPad. You may log on as a Guest, using the generic name and password. (Hint: They're the same as our World Book name and password.) If you'd like to create your own account on your iPad, that will allow you to check out (download) books and to add bookmarks and notes:
• Download the free Follett BryteWaveK-12 Edition app.
• Location: Massachusetts
• School: Sherwood Middle School
• Name: the part of your student email address before the @ sign
• Password: your student ID number (lunch number). See Mrs. Pope if you don't know your ID.
After signing in to Follett BryteWave...
• Menu shows library and checkouts.
• My Library and FollettShelf (with 3-book icon) list all the Sherwood Media Center's ebooks.
• My eCheckouts, My eReader, and Bookbag all show books you've downloaded onto your device.
• Books may be opened and read online (not checked out or downloaded), OR they may be downloaded to your iPad or computer. Downloaded books are returned automatically after two weeks.
• Students are limited to five downloaded books at a time. To return a book early, go to your Bookbag.
• Books with the green infinity symbol or an "unlimited copies" notation may be checked out by all Sherwood students at once, so are always available!
• To find books, use a broad search term or browse the shelf.
Common book features include bookmarking, highlighting, and note-taking.
OR click or tap here for full Follett instructions.
See many of our favorite books at Sherwood Media Center's Goodreads site.
In Media Enrichment class, we discuss plagiarism and ways to avoid it. Click here for more information.
Learn about copyright from Copyright Kids and from CyberBee.
To examine the difference between plagiarism and copyright, check out this article;
Read more about copyright and how it differs from plagiarism with this diagram and article.
Or, check out these posters: Did I Plagiarize? Can I Use that Picture?
Take the SafeKids online safety quiz.
The renovated and expanded Shrewsbury Public Library offers many helpful resources! In addition to their large print collection, they offer digital content, including Freading (eBook service) and Freegal (free and legal downloads of popular music.)
- Alexandria (Sherwood's Library Catalog)
- World Book Encyclopedia
- Current Events
- Teacher Resources
- Shrewsbury Public Library
- Acceptable Use Policy 5-12
- Teacher Card and Deposit Collection Policy