Legacy Technology Fee Program Transition Information
Beginning with the 2015-16 school year, the district will move its 1:1 program to a district-owned device model, while still enabling students to use their iPads both at school and at home. As a result of this decision, our current program options, Personal Technology Fee, Bring Your Own, and School Use Only, will be eliminated. Families who are currently enrolled in these programs will understandably have questions around how the district will transition from its current program to a district-owned device program. This document provides clarifications that we believe most families will be seeking around our 1:1 program changes.
For more information on the School Committee’s decision to move to a district-owned model, please refer to the “School Committee Digital Conversion Memo” and the “Digital Conversion Implementation Slide Presentation” available on this website.
For families enrolled in the Personal Technology Fee option:
Families of 8th graders during the 2014-15 school year have 2 options:
- Opt to pay the district the fourth installment of the $165 fee at the end of the 2014-15 school year and be given the device at the close of school to keep. Students will receive a new district-owned iPad next year when they enter Shrewsbury High School.
- Pay nothing additional, return the device to the district at the beginning of 9th grade, and swap it out for a new district owned iPad. This new device will be used for the four years of high school.
Families of 5-7th graders during the 2014-15 school year have 2 options:
- Opt to stay enrolled in the personal technology fee program and pay the $165 fee until the student completes 8th grade and own the device at the end of the year. This assumes that a payment of $165 has been made for 4 years.
- Pay nothing additionally, continue to use the device until the end of 8th grade and then return the device at the end of 8th grade.
Families who entered the Personal Technology Fee Program after 5th grade
- Opt to stay enrolled in the personal technology fee program and pay the $165 until the student completes 8th grade. At the end of the 8th grade fee the family will pay any outstanding installments of $165 so that they have made a total of 4 payments of $165. Once this final payment is made, the family will own the device.
- Pay nothing additional, continue to use the device until the end of 8th grade and then return the device at the end of 8th grade.
For families enrolled in the Bring Your Own option:
The Bring Your Own program will be eliminated for the 2015-16 school year. All students will be issued a district-owned iPad and will be required to use that device, which they will be able to bring home and keep over the summer. This change is being made because changes in our management system require that the district own all enrolled devices. No app fee will be required starting next year, but apps the student has been issued to date through our program will continue to be accessible through the new, district-issued iPad. Families may wish to keep their family-owned iPad for personal use or families may want to consider selling the device as iPads have held their value quite well.
For families enrolled in the School Use Only option:
Starting with the 2015-16 school year, your child will be able to take his/her iPad home each night and will also have access to the device over the summer. There will be no fee associated with this change. Once this transition occurs, your child may be assigned homework that requires the use of the iPad or digital resources.
Questions may be directed to Brian L'Heureux, Director of Information Technology, at (508) 841-8820.